Sunday, December 23, 2007

December capsule II

I watched Evita, the musical play held at the New Luxor Theater in Rotterdam courtesy from my work.

I was excited though it's my first time to watch a musical play here in Holland and to think that it's a world renowned play. The book and lyrics by Tim Rice and this is based on the life of Eva Peron, the infamous first lady of Argentina. Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber.The original Broadway production opened on 25 September 1979 and was directed by Harold Prince, with choreography by Larry Fuller, running for 1567 performances. Originally produced as a concept recording, the original West End production opened on 21 June 1978. A film version was released in 1997 where Madonna played Evita and Antonio Banderas as Che Guevarra.

I also watched the film and I have at home a Dvd which was also a gift from our boss. Luckily, I knew the story, or else I might not understand the play. :-) The songs are all translated in Dutch...expecting that the rise and fall of the melodies are just quite difficult to follow. Brigitte Heitzer who played as Evita has a great voice. She won last time in the AVRO tv programme"Op zoek naar Evita" (Searh for Evita) of Joop van den Ende Theaterproducties.

It was actually a work night-out. We had dinner at Liepzig restaurant inside of the theater. My colleagues were just curious to ask me if I can follow and understand the play 'coz even them, have difficulty listening to the music. The orchestra was just hard...well, the first part of the plot was quite full of strong emotions that made the music harder. But in the second part was already slowly to softened since of the low-variations of feelings of the story. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the performance.

The evening was so beautiful and I was also impressed with the architectural design of the theater. I did'nt have a photo since I was just a bit reluctant to disrupt my Dutch colleagues in their serious mood. Hehehe! They looked allergic and skeptical from the camera flash...but at the end of the play, our boss gathered us in the big hall and took a group picture just with a big christmas tree background. They have no escape but at least I was relieved. :-)

The New Luxor Theatre is one of the biggest amusement theatres in the Netherlands and home to various forms of entertainment including musical, cabaret, opera, revue and dance for international and local audiences. The ambience of the theater was really perfect for the night. The location has the excellent waterfront view of the world port, the Erasmus bridge as the skyline of Rotterdam and from there is just the Hotel New York stands.

Surprisingly, when we went out from the theater, it was a complete white evening. It snowed. I've waited for snow and just happened at the late evening. I sighed...I had no time to take a photo coz we're already hurrying going inside of our bus...I was hoping to take a photo when I arrived in Delft....Surprisingly again! Mr. Snowman was not yet in Delft....Uuhmmmm.

The next morning...I woke up and when I looked out the window....I just saw white. At last...the snow arrived :-)



No comments: